Thursday, March 20, 2008

MTV Junkie



Why can I spend hours on end watching MTV? There must be a formula that gives it that McDonalds conglomerate type status that I can’t seem to resist. And how do they know to put day-long Jackass marathons when I have a day off? Take ‘The Hills’ for example. Or ‘Laguna Beach’ . Lauren is the epitome of the fashion intern. Working at Teen Vogue, she attends parties and events nightly. Oh L.A. My sweet Sydney is beginning to poach your style. Wednesday is the new Saturday. Nightly I see fashionistas parading the streets of the ever-trendy Kings Cross. I’m a hypocrite. Happy to admit, self-confessed superficial queen. Spying on chic clubbers one night, then joining them in a funky outfit with hooker heels the next.

But back to my addiction; these shows present a story that is supposedly fact-based. Often people think events on television are real, simple because they are on television. “Reality” TV also employs similar techniques in a supposedly non-scripted format so that viewers believe what they are watching is complete truth. I used to think the show was not real, until an Aussie came on the show. Sure they may have hired an actor, but we all remember Meryl Streep’s “a dingo ate my bab-ey”. I still don’t know if ‘The Hills’ is real. I’d be happy for someone to enlighten me, and as much as I don’t want to admit it, I’m an MTV junkie.

Recently, ‘Newport Harbour’ takes the spotlight. Second place awarded to ‘Maui Fever’, ‘Living Lahaina’ and too many more. Even more freakishly, I find myself referencing every day occurrences of my life to these shows. One night out I saw Justin Bobbys everywhere. These shows are portrayed as non-fiction, but is it fiction? A parody of the stereotypical Valley Girl. Or maybe they're just drawn that way, like Jessica Rabbit. Are the producers simply making a mockumentary out of me watching it? Candid camera style.
Image: Courtesy of the Internet and its crazed phenomenality.

1 comment:

Ondo Lady said...

I am not sure how 'real' The Hills is but it certainly makes for entertaining watching.