Wednesday, March 19, 2008

The Fluoro Revolution



Today’s fluoro fashion is what the seventies would be like if they had glow sticks on a mass scale. Psychadelic hues that blind your eyes with a catchy logo. It’s all you can see for miles at Australian festivals like Good Vibrations and Future Music. Even the Big Day Out wanted a piece of the action this year. I don't even need to mention the crazed sunglasses fad. Thick colourful frames, disposable yet fashionable pieces of plastic. Although targeted to a younger audience, I gave my dad some fluoro wear for his birthday, and make him wear it :).

I haven’t been overseas since the fluoro trend began spreading its wings on our shore, but it seems to me like it’s an Australian thing. Though please correct me if I’m wrong. Perhaps an appropriation of the popular construction worker culture who wear fluoros on a daily basis. Doing a year-long stint in a warehouse, I had to wear bright yellow fluoros which I actually thought brought out my skin tone nicely. However my co-workers didn’t take too kindly to their wardrobe obligation.

Talking to a few people who either just moved here from the States or were here on holiday, they thought that our fashion sense made us appear to steer towards alternative orientation, particularly for males. Not that there's anything wrong with that (Seinfield style), these people were quite vulgar in their terminology. But I quite love the fluoro revolution. What’s it like in your country?




Image: Authors Own. Good Vibes08

1 comment:

Mei-Li said...

I know this is an older post but the "highlighter" trend is over here in Korea full force. IDK what it's going to be like when I get back to the states but I am bringing a lot of neons home with me...